Thursday 3 March 2011

The Price

"Give me another chance!" she cried,
"I'm afraid it's too late" the Grim Reaper replied
He then said "All sins and crimes must be paid in full"
"What crime? What sin?! I haven't done anything" was her retort.
At her response the Reaper looked most severe.
"Have you honestly no idea why you are here?
Think hard, look back, remember the events.
Can you not think what led to the accident?"
She looked at him blankly, and on her it dawned, it was something about which she had previously been warned.
"It wasn't my fault, it wasn't me behind the wheel. Why am I here, that's not a fair deal?!"
"Arrogance was your sin. You thought you couldn't get hurt, that you were immortal, and so you did nothing.
To be 'down with it' was more important for you, than to be an adult and take a sensible and safe view.
You knew your friend was DUI, but you didn't stop them, even though they were high.
You got in the car and said ""It's perfectly safe. It's cool, it's normal, people do it every day.""
The Reaper then said "For this, four people have to pay"
"Why four? There were three of us in the car today"
At this point the Reaper looked almost sad.
"The fourth to pay will be your Dad.
For you and your friends, your lives are your cost.
For your Dad, it's the memory of who he has loved and lost.
Your price though tragic, is quick and paid today.
Your Dad's pain will be never ending, each minute of every day"
The Reaper looked at the girl, who was stricken with tears,
The reality of it all had now sunk in, and she was frozen to the spot in fear.
She thought back to all the good times with her Dad, of which there would be no more.
She realised how much she had taken him for granted and how she had dismissed his worrying before.
"Mr Reaper, please would you grant me one request?"
And so the Reaper did at her behest.
The Reaper visited her Dad and broke the news the best he could.
Her father was distraught and greeted the news like any caring parent would.
The Reaper said "Your daughter asked me for a last request, and to my word I will be true.
She asked me to tell you how sorry she was and how much she does love you."
To this end I will do what I can to minimise your pain. Your memories of this will be dulled and it won't hurt as much again"
Her father shook his head and through his tears he did reply,
"Thank you for the offer but I must decline, though it will always hurt, I must remember why.
I must remember, so I can spread the word, and help other parents like me.
Whose children think they are immortal, and therefore the dangers they will not see.
How many more of these accidents will it take, before they will understand why?
How much more tragic can the loss be, before they will say 'no' to DUI?"
The Reaper bowed his head, and faded slowly into the dark.
The depths of which for the father had never been so stark.

Never when bringing up a son or daughter should a parent have to expect.
To face the pain of losing their child, knowing there is nothing they can do to protect.
A parent can lay down the rules and by example they can guide. The day will always come when it will be down to the son or daughter to decide.

- Posted using BlogPress

No comments:

Post a Comment